How to Reduce Your Plastic Bottle Waste

Posted By on Jun 18, 2015


Billions of plastic bottles are used for packaging annually. These huge amounts of bottles quickly become waste and only 16% are recycled. The remaining 84% pollute nature, are biodegradable. The plastic bottles disappear only after hundreds of years. Today, we are going to provide you with some useful tips on how to reduce your plastic bottle waste.
How to Reduce Your Plastic Bottle Waste Picture How to Reduce Your Plastic Bottle Waste Picture

Is it safe to drink water from plastic bottles?

  • According to some studies, almost all beverages that are sold in plastic bottles are contaminated; tap water is much healthier than bottled water. However, make sure to install a water filter system, in order to prevent any bacteria or chemicals that may arise in tap water.
  • Plastic is a petroleum based product in which chemicals were added in order to obtain the desired property, whether it’s hardness, flexibility or high duration of life. But if the plastic is heated, these chemicals can be released and can migrate into food and beverages. If you ingest these chemicals, they can cause harm to the brain, reproductive system but also in other organs.
  • Bisphenol A, also called BPA, is found in a large number of plastic bottles. The primary source of BPA contamination for most people is represented by food and water. Bisphenol A is an endocrine disruptor, which can mimic the characteristics of the estrogen hormone and it was shown in some studies in animals that can cause adverse health effects.

Transform your plastic bottle waste into sources of energy

The idea of transforming empty plastic bottles in green bulbs, was ignored in the past, but nowadays it has become more interesting after the “Liter of Light” project was developed by students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
In recent months, more than 10,000 plastic bottles were placed on the roofs of tin huts in Manila and Laguna (Philippines). The technology process by which a plastic bottle can quickly be turned into a daytime ecological bulb is extremely simple: fill a 1.5-2L plastic bottle with water and a small amount of chlorine (for preventing the development of microorganisms) and place it into a hole in a roof. The water refracts sunlight, providing your home with a source of light.

Opt for a water filtration system

Water is absolutely essential for the survival of the human body. A person can survive about a month without food, but only a week without water. Water helps maintain a healthy body weight by increasing metabolism and regulating appetite. It is therefore important that the water we consume is clean.
A water filter device is a great solution; it is a cleaner and healthier water source than bottled water. The use of a water filter provides a better taste for drinking water by removing the chlorine and bacterial impurities. The clean water consumption, obtained with the help of a water filter, protects the body from certain diseases and leads to a healthy lifestyle. A water filter provides clean and healthy water for cooking and for consumption, which makes it a much safer and eco-friendlier alternative to bottled water, which, as we all know, can be very harmful to the environment.